NEW JERSEY REGISTER
VOLUME 38, ISSUE 11
ISSUE DATE: JUNE 5, 2006
LAW AND PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
BOARD OF NURSING
Notice of Conferences for Solicitation of Informal Public Input Alternative to Discipline Program for Impaired Licensees
Take notice that the Board of Nursing will hold two informal conferences for the purpose of permitting interested persons to present their views regarding the implementation of P.L. 2005, c. 82, which established the Alternative to Discipline Program. This program will permit impaired licensees to disclose their impairment to a monitoring program, designated by the Board, which will provide oversight of the licensee while he or she is being treated for, and is following a plan of recovery from, the impairment. The Alternative to Discipline Program will be administered by the Alternative to Discipline Committee which was created by P.L. 2005, c. 82.
Conference participants are encouraged to offer their views on the following:
1. Establishing a standard for identifying, treating and evaluating impaired individuals using evidence based research findings.
2. Identifying elements that should be included in a memorandum of understanding between the Board and monitoring entities.
3. Developing mechanisms for confidential reporting of compliance by the monitoring entity to the Alternative to Discipline Committee.
4. Defining noncompliance for an individual in the Alternative to Discipline Program.
5. Determining the consequences of noncompliance, including re-evaluation and suspension of license.
6. Establishing which individuals licensed and certified by the Board are eligible for entry into the Program.
7. Determining which monitoring programs qualify for Board recognition.
8. Determining what constitutes an impairment which will initiate an individual's entry into the Alternative to Discipline Program.
The conferences will be held on Friday, June 23, 2006 and Monday, June 26, 2006. The June 23 conference will begin at 10:00 A.M. The June 26 conference will begin at 12:00 P.M. Members of the Board will preside over the conference. A court reporter will be present to record the proceedings. Requests to speak, indicating which conference the individual wishes to attend, should be submitted in writing to George Hebert, Executive Director, State Board of Nursing, Post Office Box 45010, Newark, New Jersey 07101, no later than one week prior to the scheduled conference date. Specific presentation times will be assigned. Individual presentations will be limited to five minutes. Those who do not preregister to speak will be given an opportunity to do so only as time permits. Individual speakers are requested to provide a copy of their prepared remarks to the members of the Board on the day of the conference. Individuals will not be permitted to speak at both conferences. Written comments are also encouraged and should be forwarded to the Board office no later than June 16, 2006.
Conference dates and locations are as follows:
Friday, June 23, 2006
124 Halsey St.
Monday, June 26, 2006
Richard J. Hughes Justice Complex
25 Market Street
Third Floor West Wing
Conference Room Four