The New Jersey State Board of Cosmetology and Hairstyling board licenses and regulates barbers, beauticians, cosmetology-hairstylists, manicurists, skin care specialists, teachers, shops and schools and registers students who attend these schools.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- protect the health, safety and welfare of the people of New Jersey;
- regulate the practice of cosmetology-hairstyling,; and
- ensure that plumbing cosmetology-hairstyling is performed in compliance with State law.
The Board protects the public by:
- making sure that cosmetologists and hairstylists meet all educational requirements for licensure;
- investigating and prosecuting cosmetologists and hairstylists who have broken the state's consumer protection laws; and
- requiring all cosmetologists and hairstylists to be licensed by the state and to renew their licenses every two years.