This board licenses and regulates electrical contractors; registers qualified journeyman electricians; and is responsible for granting exemptions from licensure to persons or businesses engaged in telecommunications wiring in New Jersey.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people of New Jersey;
- regulate the practice of electrical contracting; and
- ensure that electrical contracting is performed in a safe manner.
The Board protects the public by:
- by ensuring that all electrical contractors meet the experience and educational requirements of the Board;
- by investigating and prosecuting electrical contractors who have violated the Electrical Contractors Licensing Act of 1962; and
- by requiring that all electrical contractors be licensed and hold a valid business permit, which is renewed every three years.