Continuing Education Frequently Asked Questions
- When will these regulations be implemented?
A random compliance audit will be conducted for the first time following the 2008 Renewal period. Thereafter, a random compliance audit will be performed annually for the even or odd year renewal.
- Where does the Board's authority to require continuing Education come from?
The following regulation provides this authority: N.J.A.C. 13:37-5.3 Continuing Education.
- How can I access a copy of the regulation?
You can go to the Board's Regulation page: http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/nursing/nur_rules.htm
- Which credentialing agencies are recognized?
Entities such as The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) and programs or agencies that it approves, agencies certified by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies, the NJ Department of Education or an agency of another state with requirements substantially similar to those required by the NJ Department of Education, other state Boards of Nursing are recognized. (Further discussion by the Board's January 2007 meeting has taken place to expand this list of approved agencies. Please check back later for further updates.)
- What type of educational programs/activities are acceptable to the Board?
Nurses should select continuing education programs with a focus on maintaining current, competent and safe nursing practice. Please read the regulations via the link provided below to review the many options available to satisfy this requirement.
- How many continuing education contact hours can be carried over from one renewal period to another?
If the licensee has earned more than the required 30 contact hours during a given licensing period, the licensee may carry over no more than 15 of such extra contact hours earned into the next licensing period.
- What type of documentation needs to be provided to the Board of Nursing by a licensee if he or she is selected for a Continuing Education audit?
Licensees are requested to maintain the following records for a period of 4 years (2 renewal cycles) after completion of the continuing education activity:
- The certificate of completion from the provider for attendance at programs or courses.
- A copy of the published textbook or article, including the publication date for publications.
- For those teaching a new program, new course, new lecture/seminar or developing a new curriculum, the following materials will need to be provided. (Note: New is defined as an activity which the licensee has not performed previously, e.g. has not taught the program, course, lecture/seminar or developed the curriculum before.)
- a copy of the new program, new course, new lecture/seminar or new curriculum outline,
- a copy of instructional materials for the new program, new course or new lecture/seminar,
- documentation identifying the location,
- documentation identifying the date and time the course was offered, documentation identifying the length of the
- documentation identifying the length of the new program, new course or new lecture/seminar in hours,
- a letter from the provider confirming that the RN or LPN developed or taught the new program, new course or new lecture/seminar.
- A copy of the research project report including a list of the primary and co-investigators.
- A copy of the preceptor materials with documentation designating the RN or LPN as preceptor.
- How will auditing of compliance with the continuing education requirement be performed?
The Board will randomly select nurses after every licensing renewal period for audit. These nurses will be mailed a notification letter requesting them to submit the necessary materials demonstrating compliance with the required 30 hours of continuing education.
- How often can one expect to be audited?
It is anticipated that nurses may not be monitored any more than once every four years. However, due to the random nature of the selection process it is conceivable that some nurses may be audited more frequently.
For more information click on the following links:
Continuing Education Regulation
(Go to page 11 on the following web site)
Please email questions that you may have about Continuing Education for the Board to: NJNursingCEQuestions@dca.lps.state.nj.us