This board regulates the manufacture and sale of eyeglasses in New Jersey. The board licenses ophthalmic dispensers; ophthalmic technicians; and ophthalmic dispenser and technician apprentices.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- protect the health, safety and welfare of the people of New Jersey;
- regulate the practice of ophthalmic dispensing; and
- ensure that ophthalmic dispensing is performed in compliance with State law.
The Board protects the public by:
- making sure that ophthalmic dispensers meet all educational requirements, and pass the State Board exam, for licensure;
- investigating and prosecuting ophthalmic dispensers who have broken the state's consumer protection laws; and
- requiring all ophthalmic dispensers to be licensed by the state and to renew their licenses every two years.