Página en Español
Notice to Consumers and Certain Autobus Operators
Angelie's Law, which includes the Bill of Rights for Customers of Certain Autobuses Act, took effect January 1, 2015.
The law pertains to privately-owned autobuses operated over the public highways in New Jersey for the transportation of not more than 40 passengers for hire in intrastate or interstate business, with certain exceptions.
Among other things, the law establishes consumer protections, obligations of the owners and operators of autobuses, and basic expectations and guarantees of health, safety, and welfare. Among other things, the law establishes consumer protections, obligations of the owners and operators of autobuses, and basic expectations and guarantees of health, safety, and welfare. Specifically, the Bill of Rights provides for the following:
- The owner of an autobus shall provide clear and conspicuous notice of customer complaint contact information by prominently displaying the telephone number, established by the Division of Consumer Affairs in the Department of Law and Public Safety […], on the interior and exterior of the autobus.
- The owner of an autobus shall respond to all complaints in a timely fashion and work to resolve any problems customers encounter regarding unsafe, poor, or inadequate service.
- The owner of an autobus shall ensure that all operators are well-trained.
- The operator of an autobus shall not allow an autobus to exceed the number of passengers that the autobus can safely accommodate.
- The operator of an autobus shall ensure that the autobus is clean, well-maintained, and in good working condition at all times.
- The operator of an autobus shall not operate an autobus while smoking or using a cellular telephone, or engage in any other action that may endanger the health, safety, or welfare of passengers.
- The operator of an autobus shall comply with all federal and State laws governing the safe operation of a motor vehicle.
The full text of the law, officially designated as P.L. 2013, c. 224 can be found in
Consumers who have a complaint about a private bus service, or the person operating it, can call the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs at (973) 504-6200.
The law requires autobus owners to prominently display this New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs complaint number on the inside and outside of the autobus. Further information for autobus owners can be found here in
A suggested version of the notice that autobus owners must display on the inside and outside of their vehicles can be found here in
Note: State law mandates that autobus owners must display the suggested English version on the inside and outside of their vehicles.
Autobus owners that choose to post the Spanish language version must also post the English language version in order to be compliant with the State law.