Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Skip to main content Open accessibility information page

New Jersey State Board of Dentistry

New Jersey State Board of Dentistry - Licensing Frequently Asked Questions



  1. I am a new dental school graduate. How should I begin the application process in New Jersey?
    Begin by downloading and thoroughly reviewing the license application and instructions. Applicants should begin the application process when they are nearing graduation. National Board scores should be reported to the Board. Effective September 2005, New Jersey recognizes the clinical examination of the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) if it has been administered by the North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners (NERB) or any other state or regional board. You must have graduated from a dental program recognized by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association. Upon graduation, sealed transcripts evidencing completion of your dental training must be forwarded to the Board. In addition, all health care applicants are required, by law, to submit to fingerprinting and a Criminal History Background Check (CHBC). The CHBC can take some time, so applicants are encouraged to begin this process early. An application fee of $125 must accompany your application. The registration period for dentists runs from November 1 to October 31 of odd numbered years. Once approved, you will be required to pay your initial registration fee, which is good for the remainder of the current registration period. If you are licensed in the second half of a biennial registration period, your fee is one half of the current biennial registration fee.
  2. I am entering a residency training program. Do I need a license?
    New Jersey issues permits to individuals entering residency training programs. The minimum standard for the issuance of a permit is graduation from a CODA approved program, successful completion of National Boards Parts 1 and 2, and completion of the Criminal History Background Check. The CHBC can take some time, so applicants are encouraged to begin this process early. If you have successfully completed the ADEX or NERB clinical examination, and otherwise qualify for a full license, you are encouraged to obtain a license, especially if you intend to ultimately practice in the State of New Jersey. The residency training permit limits practice to the health care institution where the program is conducted. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as a residency position is offered to avoid any delays.
  3. I hold a license in another state. How can I qualify for a license in New Jersey?
    Applicants must provide evidence that any licenses issued by another state are in good standing. An individual whose license is suspended or revoked in any other state does not qualify for licensure in New Jersey. An application fee of $250 is required for these applicants. If you have completed National Dental Boards Part 1 and 2, and have taken the North East Regional Board (NERB) or, after September 2005, the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) clinical examination administered by NERB or any other regional or state board, you are qualified for licensure by examination, if this examination was taken within the last five years. If it has been more than five (5) years since the completion of the NERB examination, you will be required to submit a complete employment history. Such applications must be reviewed by the full Board. If you are seeking licensure by credentials, you must demonstrate that you have held a valid license to practice in any other state or jurisdiction for at least five (5) years and demonstrate that you have completed an examination administered or completed in another state that is comparable to the NERB examination. A list of states is available from the Board office. Please call 973-504-6405.
  4. Do I need a license for every office where I practice?
    Yes. State law requires that you hold a branch office license for every office in which you practice dentistry. The application can be obtained on the Board's Website. The fee for a branch license is $90.00 for each biennial registration period.
  5. I am applying for a license in a another state. Is there a fee for a verification?
    Yes. State license verifications require a written request addressed to the Board office at PO Box 45005, Newark, New Jersey 07101 and a fee in the amount of $25.00 made payable to the "State of New Jersey."
  6. I received a degree from a country outside of the United States, can I qualify for a New Jersey license? Can I qualify for any other kind of license?
    No. Board regulations require that applicants graduate from a dental school recognized by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association. This includes dental schools in both the United States and Canada. Graduates of other programs are required to complete two years of additional training in a CODA approved program and must receive a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree in order to qualify. Graduates of dental programs outside the United States may not qualify for a license as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). This license also requires graduation from a CODA approved dental hygiene program.
  7. How many continuing education credits are required to renew my license?
    Dentists are required to complete 40 hours of continuing education (CE) every two years. If you are a new licensee, these credits are pro-rated. Board regulations also specify permissible types of CE. Please consult the Boards regulations at N.J.A.C 13:30-5.1. Registered Dental Hygienists are required to complete 20 CE hours and Registered Dental Assistants are required to complete 10 CE hours with each biennial registration cycle. Regulations are found at N.J.A.C. 13:30-5.2 and 5.3 respectively.
  8. I have a dental specialty. Do I need a special license?
    If you are going to advertise in any dental specialty (oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral pathology, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics or public health) Board regulations require that you apply for a specialty permit. To qualify for such a permit, a licensee is required to be certified or eligible for certification by a specialty board recognized by the American Dental Association. Applications are available from the Board office. There is no fee associated with the specialty permit. The permit must be displayed at your place of practice and your specialty permit number must be displayed in any advertisement.
  9. Does the Board issue X Ray licenses?
    No. X Ray licenses are issued by the Technologist Certification Section at the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. Information concerning dental technologist certification can be found at, or by calling 609-984-5890.
  10. Are dental laboratories required to be licensed in New Jersey? How can I become a dental lab technician?
    Dental laboratories are presently not regulated by the State of New Jersey. It is illegal to have dental work performed at a laboratory as it is considered the unlicensed practice of dentistry. For information about dental laboratories and dental technician training, contact the New Jersey Dental Laboratory Association at (973) 887-4889.
Last Modified: 9/17/2015 1:39 PM