Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
Skip to main content Open accessibility information page
Downtown Newark, NJ

Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission


Every organization interested in conducting bingo or raffles or allow its members to assist a licensed affiliated organization, must first apply to the Commission for eligibility. If the Commission determines that the applicant qualifies as a bona fide charitable, educational, religious, patriotic, public-spirited organization or senior citizen association or club it issues to it a registration certificate reflecting its identification number.

The Charitable Registration and Investigation Act of 1994 requires certain groups organized as a 501(c)(3) entity or which raise money for charitable purposes to register with the Division of Consumer Affairs - Office of Consumer Protection's Charities Registration Section. To check whether your organization is required to register with the Section, you can call (973) 504-6215 or click the above link.

Once registered with the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission, the organization must file a license application(s) for each separate type of game of chance it intends to conduct from the appropriate municipality where the games are to be held. Upon doing so the organization must exhibit their identification card to the municipal clerk when submitting their license application.  

Licenses are to be conspicuously displayed in the area/room where the games are held.

"Qualified organization" means a bona fide organization or association of veterans, religious congregation, religious organization, charitable organization, educational organization, fraternal organization, civic and service club, officially recognized volunteer fire company, officially recognized first aid squad, and officially recognized rescue squads, and senior citizens association or club.

"Registered organization"  means an organization which has applied for, received and possesses a valid registration certificate bearing an identification number issued to it by the Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission. Only a registered organization is qualified, within the meaning of N.J.S.A. 5:8-60.3, to conduct raffles.

Last Modified: 12/20/2018 5:28 AM